Volunteer with Great White Sharks and Southern Right Whales anywhere in Gansbaai, South Africa. View majestic marine animals at close quarters and earn and gain huge insights into their plight, interactions and lives from hugely experienced Marine Biologists.
The volunteer experience with VWI and Marine Volunteers is a hugely engrossing, exciting and hands on experience. Weather dependent, volunteers will spend much of their time at sea near to or in ‘Shark Alley’ – a narrow channel between Dyer Island and Geyser Island observing the marine fauna from one of our organisations research boats – photo opportunities here are in abundance! When not at sea, the interaction and beneficial use of our volunteers time does not stop – volunteers are afforded the opportunity of getting involved with several terrestrial based activities such as assisting with the local community outreach project, beach clean ups or helping install and maintain penguin nesting boxes as part of the ongoing conservation effort.
On a day to day basis, volunteers may be involved
in the following activities:
- Gaining first-hand experience of working on an ecotourism boat and the rare opportunity to work with the Great White Shark.
- Helping with full preparation of the boat prior to launch.
- Assisting and looking after other guests whilst on board the boat.
- Cage diving and viewing of the sharks.
- Those showing a good work ethic or who are studying in a related field may be afforded the opportunity of attending research expeditions to assist the Marine Biologists in data collection, Environmental Surveys or even shark tracking. This is dependent on aptitude and the prevailing needs of the project at the time of your visit.
- Attending lectures and video talks on a diverse range of topics including shark biology and behavior, safety at sea and basic seamanship, ocean conservation, shark tagging/tracking or even photography.
- Monthly Marine evenings with talks from other conservationists and shark experts to share their knowledge.
- Community outreach programs – visiting local schools to interact with the areas children.
- Regular beach clean ups to assist with the Trusts Conservation Programs.
The Great White Shark Projects location, just outside Gansbaai, approximately 150kms South of Cape Town finds itself right at the heart of the worlds centre for research into and viewing of these apex predators offering volunteers an unbeatable and one-of-a-kind opportunity to learn more about this amazing species at incredibly close quarters.
It is not only Great White Sharks though that can readily be viewed here, the Great White Shark project is also located only a 15 minute drive away from Hermanus – the world capital for lwhale viewing and the spawning grounds in season (June-November) of Southern Right Whales on their migration along South Africas coastline.With the natural marine features associated with the area and subsequent abundance and variety of species that frequent the local waters, there is no better location anywhere in the world to visit as a volunteer for anyone interested in marine life, research and conservation.
MINIMUM 2 WEEKS
FROM R17, 500
The Great White Shark Project accepts new volunteers every Monday and will collect and transfer all new arrivals from Cape Town to Kleinbaai early on Monday mornings. As such, volunteers will need to plan their arrivals to Cape Town for Sunday at the latest with overnight accommodation until collection on Monday morning.
Volunteer World International are more than happy to assist with finding accommodation before (and after) your visit to the project as required – just let us know your requirements and remember we are perfectly placed in Cape Town to find exactly what you are looking for!
- Accommodation in seperate houses each sleeping maximum 6 persons
- Transfers to/from Gansbaai to Cape Town
- Training and all activities associated with the program
- Basic breakfast and lunches onboard boat
- Daily tea and coffee
- Personal supervisor to assist throughout your stay
- International Flights and Visas
- Evening meals (there are many great local restaurants and take aways!)
- Travel/medical insurance
- Freetime entertainment
- Monthly stipend